Name: Esther Susin Carrasco
Place of Birth: Barcelona
Professional Address: Calle San Quirze No. 55, 2nd Floor, Sabadell
Office Telephone: +34 93 727 20 47
Fax: +34 93 725 50 11 Website: www.esthersusin.com
Cell Phone: +34 610 38 41 09
Bar Sabadell, License Number: 2.000 (1998)
- Bachelor of Law from UNED in 1995.
- Graduate in Languages: English, French, German, and Italian in 1985.
- Initiation to diplomatic career in 1990 at the University of Perpignan.
- Studied Community Law and the Maastricht Treaty at King’s College London in 1992.
- Completed a post-degree program at the Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona (UAB) from 2009 to 2011, earning a Master’s degree in International Family Law.
- Pursued another post-degree program at UAB from 2011 to 2012, focusing on a Master’s degree in European Integration. The thesis topic was the relationship between The Hague Convention of 1980 (articles 13(a) and 13(b)) and Article 11 of Regulation (EC) No 2201/2003.
- Engaged in continuing education in Family Law at the School of European Law in Trier, Germany, attending sessions in 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- Completed equality training courses at the European Law School of Trier in 2017.
- Participated in TRACHILD, a training program for legal counsels representing children in criminal, civil-law, and administrative proceedings before the court, organised by the General Council of the Spanish Law in Madrid on October 30, 2017.
- Attended a seminar on «Applying Procedural Rights under the Case Law of the CJEU» at the Academy of European Law in Trier on February 1-2, 2021.
- Participated in the online course «The Challenges of the European Union: An Expert and Institutional Perspective» in July 2021, organised by CIDOB, the European Commission, and the European Parliament.
- Attended a series of online conferences on Law 17/2020, which modifies Law 5/2008, focusing on women’s rights to eradicate gender and domestic violence. The conferences were organised by the Institut Català de les Dones in 2021.
- Participated in a seminar on economic violence in partner or ex-partner relationships organised by the ECOVIO project on September 15, 2021.
- Attended the AEAFA Family Law conferences in Seville (online) on October 7th and 8th, 2021.
- Participated in the Critical Theory Seminar organised by the Gregorio Peces-Barba Human Rights Institute at the University Carlos III of Madrid in October 2021. Also attended the International Congress on «Women and (In)Equal Opportunities: Feminist Analysis of the Impact of Structural Injustices and Conjunctural Tensions.»
- Presented at the conference on «International Child Abduction and Regulation 2019/1111» held on December 1, 2021, as part of the Jean Monnet Chair on Family Law and Inheritance in the European Union (European Commission under the Erasmus program).
- Worked as an interpreter in English, French, and German in the automobile industry and gaming sector from 1984 to 1997.
- Established a self-employed international law firm, E. Susin Gabinet Juridic Internacional, in 1998. The firm specialises in Family Law, both domestically and internationally, with a focus on child abduction cases and child support.
- Worked for Women Advice, promoting women’s empowerment, at various municipalities from 2001 to 2013 (Ayuntamiento de Barberá del Vallés, Ayuntamiento de La Llagosta, Palafolls, Malgrat de Mar and Ayuntamiento de Santa Coloma de Gramanet).
- Independent Expert for the European Commission (2012):
- Fields: Justice, Liberty, and Security Citizenship.
- Associated Professor at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (2016):
- Post-degree in Technology and Engineering Management.
Other Associations and Memberships:
- Dones Juristes (Member)
- AEAFA (Spanish Association of Family Lawyers) (Member)
- SCAF (Catalan Association of Family Lawyers) (Member)
- International Federation of Women of Legal Careers (IFWLC) (Member)
- International Academy for Family Lawyers (IAFL) (Member)
- Conference on domestic and gender violence at the Barcelona Bar Association, organised by Dones Juristes (June 2011).
- Conference on family law at the London Bar (October 2011).
- Conference on Private International Law at the Barcelona Bar (March 2012) – Key topic: European Regulation 1259/2010 for divorce and separation.
- Conference at the University Kültür in Istanbul – Key topic: «The legal protection of women against violence» with an introduction to the Spanish law «La ley integral de Violencia de género.»
- FIFCJ Rome conference – Key topic: The empowerment of women today (October 2013).
- IAMl Budapest Conference – Key topic: Child relocation cases according to Spanish law and jurisprudence (June 2014).
- FIFCJ Paris Conference – Key topic: The international legal framework: Women and citizenship (November 2014).
- Conference at Information and Resource Center for Women – DONA SAPIENS (Granollers-Barcelona) – Key topic: Human Rights and Women (November 2014).
- IAFL Conference at Europa House in London (December 2014) – Topic: Child relocation Spain-England.
- Conference on Same-Sex Partnership Law – The Catalan Law 25/2010 (July 2015) – European chapter IAFL in Seville.
- Terrassa Lawyers Bar (Colegio de Abogados de Terrassa) – Regulation 4/2009 and Hague Protocol 2007 (March 2015).
- Conference at the Court of Justice of Milan (Aula Magna del Tribunal de Apelación) – Topic: Le droit d’ailletement et la responsabilité partagé en droit de famille (November 2015).
- SIAD Barberà del Vallès Conference – Topic: New Changes in Spanish Criminal Law regarding Women Abuse (November 2015).
- Conference at the Lawyers Bar in Milan – Topic: Spanish same-sex marriage and parental responsibilities (December 2015).
- DONES JURISTES Conference – Topic: The interest of the child – an overview of the different approaches in common law (January 2016).
- Woman’s Body and Fundamental Rights: New Challenges – Topic: Surrogacy (November 2016).
- Symposium organised by IFWLC in the Consejo General de la Abogacía Española in Madrid (June 2017) – Topic: The right of children to be heard in proceedings affecting them.
- Conference at the Ordine degliAvvocati di Milan (October 2017) – Topic: Ley 4/2015 de 27 de abril del Estatuto de la víctima del delito.
- Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona (December 2017) – Topic: The right of children to be heard.
- III Congres of Human Rights organised by the Consell de l’AdvocaciaCatalana, held on March 1-2, 2018, at the Museu de la Ciènciai la Tècnica de Catalunya in Terrassa. Topic: The Convention on children’s rights, focusing on sections 3.1 and 12, and further developments in other international legal instruments.
- REVIVAL European Project Seminar on «Rights, Equality and Citizenship: Right Environment to Protect Women Victims of Violence at Each Level,» held at the Autonomous University of Barcelona on January 25, 2019. Subject: Organic Law 1/2004, of December 28, on Measures of Comprehensive Protection against Gender Violence in practice.
- Speaker at Università degli Studi Dell’Insubria – Diritto Economia e Culture on April 3, 2019, discussing tools for prevention and repression of violence against women in the Spanish and Bulgarian legal systems, focusing on the Comprehensive Law of Gender Violence 1/2004.
- Presentation on capacity (Civil code) within the framework of the European Chapter of the International Association of Family Lawyers (IAFL), held in Palma de Mallorca in September 2020.
- Webinar organised by the Associação Portuguesa de Mulheres Juristas on June 24, 2020. Topic: «A Jurisdição Voluntária e os Tribunais de Famílias – Uma perspectiva de DireitoEuropeu» (Voluntary Jurisdiction and FamilyCourts: A European Law Perspective).
- Conference organised by the Opole Bar Association in Poland on March 8, 2022, on International Women’s Day, discussing the challenges faced by women in the European Union in the 21st century, particularly in family law proceedings involving cross-border cases.
- Conference organised by the Universitàdell’Insubria on April 28, 2022, focusing on gender equality and family law.
- Editorial LEX NOVA 2013 nº 60: Relationship between The Hague Convention 1980 and the Regulation (CE) 2201/2003 in child abduction cases.
- Article published in the Law Children Journal: Butlletíd’Infàncianúm. 82 – December 2014: «The Right of the Child to Express His Opinion in Family Proceedings in the European Union: The French Case.»
- Family Law Newsletter, December 2017, Volume 10, Number 1, page 27: «Shared Custody and Child Support at the Spanish Civil Code.»
- Law Journal V/LEX, Number 166, March 2018: Article on Article 11 of Regulation (CE) 2201/2003 of the Council, dated November 27, 2003, on jurisdiction, recognition, and enforcement of judgments in matrimonial matters and parental responsibility.
- Thomson Reuters Family Law Journal (Aranzadi), Number January 78 – March 2018, p. 357-369: «The Right of the Child to Be Heard in German Law.»
- International analysis on the right of participation of children and teenagers in family proceedings, focusing on standard clause: Age and capacity, and obstacles to participation. Published by Thomson Reuters, Aranzadi, in 2018.
- Family Law Update, Number 11, Volume 1, International Bar Association.
- Article on the modification in Spain of child arrangement orders based on the principle of the child’s best interest, published in December 2018.
- The audience of the child in the Family proceedings – Coordinator: Xavier Abel Lluch, Judge of the Court of 1st Instance No. 14 of Barcelona, Doctor of Law. Esther Susin Anex in international comparative family law (November 2019). Editorial Jurídica SEPIN.
- Edition July 2020 of the IBA Family Law Committee Newsletter. Article: Covid-19’s impact on Spanish family law.
- Protection of Minors in the digital age. «The digital age as an opportunity for children and teenagers.» Coordinators: Judith Solé Resina and Vinicius Almada Mozetic, p. 299. Editorial Juruá, year 2020.
- The psychological expert in family proceedings. «Legal Nature. Opinion of Specialists and hearing of the child.» Coordinator: Xavier Abel Lluch, p. 43. Editorial Sepin, 2021.